About Smiths Group
John Crane (www.johncrane.com) is a global leader in rotating equipment solutions, supplying engineered technologies and services to process industries. The company designs and manufactures a variety of products including mechanical seals and systems, couplings, bearings, filtration systems and predictive digital monitoring technologies. John Crane customer service is accessed through a global network of more than 200 sales and service facilities in over 50 countries. John Crane is part of Smiths Group (www.smiths.com), a global leader in applying advanced technologies for markets in threat and contraband detection, energy, medical devices, communications, and engineered components.
Smiths Group is a global technology company listed on the London Stock Exchange (FTSE 100). Our vision is to build Smiths Group into one of the world’s leading technology companies. We apply leading-edge technology to design, manufacture and deliver innovative solutions that meet our customers’ needs. Our products and services – often hidden from view – touch the lives of millions of people every day.
With 22,000 people in more than 50 countries, we offer opportunities as diverse as our workforce. We seek out our future leaders and provide them with the development tools and opportunities they need to make them – and Smiths – successful. People are our one true source of sustainable competitive advantage and we are building a learning organisation that attracts, retains, develops, engages and inspires the very best talent.
Our global engineering internship programme has been designed for penultimate year undergraduate students. You will spend 12 weeks gaining hands-on experience within our engineering department. Your day to day tasks will vary, and you’ll receive support from a number of skilled professionals within the business, all committed to helping you to deliver your best.
There are 4 intern opportunities in the following areas of our business:
· Research & Development: During your internship you will work on prototyping of electronic circuitries. If you are a student eager to gain hands on internship experience, you can make a difference with us and this is a great opportunity to use and grow your skills.
· Wet Seals and Fluid Systems: As an intern in this office you will be responsible for a variety of engineering and design tasks requiring application of standard techniques and procedures. Assist application engineers with responding to field issues and root cause analyses of wet seals and fluid systems. When working on an application/development project, the role is likely to involve a hands on element.
· Couplings: Work with the engineer to create a detailed representation of a coupling assembly or component in 2D and/or 3D according to engineering specifications. Perform fundamental engineering calculations work e.g. bolted joint analysis, simple stress calculations. Hands on experience of running and supporting trials and validation work in our product testing facility. Offer technical support to manufacturing Centers of Excellence, sales organisations and global design centers.
· Test Laboratory: Testing and validating wet mechanical seals or couplings as part of product improvement and or customer related testing. This role involves test cell build, installation, setting up of test rig and dynamic testing of mechanical seals or couplings. Strip, inspection and analysis of seals or couplings and associated parts. Assisting with failure investigations, diagnosis and problem solving when tests go wrong.
· On target for minimum 2:1 in Mechanical Engineering (for Wet Seals Product Group, Couplings and Test laboratory intern positions) and Electronic Engineering (for R&D intern position)
· Numerate and with a strong grasp of engineering fundamentals
· Committed and able to work in a changing environment
· Strong social and relationship skills
· Ability to express ideas and communicate effectively
· Strong desire to work across a global business
Interested in this role?