About the role
John Crane is a world leader in the design, development and manufacture of a wide range of products and services for global process and industrial markets. These include oil and gas (both offshore and refineries) petrochemical / chemical plants, LNG and fertilizer facilities plus pulp and paper sector. Products are principally related to the rotational machinery market and include mechanical seals, seal systems, couplings and filtration technologies.
We are part of Smiths Group a global technology company listed on the London Stock Exchange and part of the FTSE100. We apply leading-edge technology to design, manufacture and deliver innovative solutions that meet our customers’ needs. Our products and services – often hidden from view – touch the lives of millions of people every day. We serve a wide range of end markets – from healthcare, energy and petrochemicals through to threat and contraband detection, telecommunications and equipment manufacture.
This is more than university! For starters, you’ll be learning in the real-world of work as well as in the classroom. Developing a really important skillset from a global engineering market leader. This John Crane apprenticeship provides the perfect opportunity to join a high performing product development team. You will work with exciting technologies and develop expertise enabling you to grow into a highly capable, multi-skilled product development engineer.
In partnership with London South Bank University, you will gain a level 6 accreditation i.e. Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering (BEng). Candidates who are successful throughout their apprenticeship may be enrolled onto a level 7 course/ apprenticeship (MEng) later in their career.
The Engineering Trainee will learn about the design, manufacture and build of dry gas seals. This will involve the use of 3D CAD to design components, the evaluation of designs using analysis software, test rigs and troubleshooting of seals returned from the field. A mix of theoretical and hands-on engineering.
All our apprentices take part in a rotational programme, working in all the key areas which cover the total end to end process from operations to engineering functions. This includes Assembly, Test, Quality, Product Refurbishment, Logistics, Purchasing / Procurement, Planning, Continuous Improvement, R&D Laboratory, Design, Applications and Reliability Engineering.
The requirements are designed to offer stretch, progression and exposure to a variety of Technical Engineering and Operational functions within the business, including:
· Gaining a good knowledge of the John Crane product range, applications and markets.
· Working with minimum supervision, taking responsibility for the quality, accuracy and timely delivery of the work
· Being proactive in finding solutions to problems and identifying areas for improving the business
· Supporting the development of production techniques and systems
Training qualifications and format
The training programme will ultimately lead to:
· BEng in Mechanical Engineering (Level 6)
· An apprenticeship Certificate
The course structure will be operated as follows:
· A Level AAB or;
· BTEC National Diploma DDD or;
· Access to HE qualifications with 24 Distinctions and 21 Merits or;
· Equivalent level 3 qualifications worth 128 UCAS points
· Strong interest in engineering and innovation.
· Strong desire to work in a product development role at the fore front of the company’s technology
· Desire to learn to read and understand technical drawings and schematics
· Strong social and relationship skills
· Self-starter and self-sufficient - will hit the ground running
· Strong desire to work across a global business
Interested in this role?